Terrance J. “Terry” Tumey begins as UC Davis' new director of athletics on Aug. 1.
Terrance J. Tumey appointed athletics director
Chancellor Linda P.B. Katehi has announced the appointment of Terrance J. “Terry” Tumey as the school’s director of athletics.
The appointment of Tumey, a seasoned administrator who has served since 2009 as athletics director at Dominican University of California in San Rafael, culminates a comprehensive nine-month nationwide search.
Tumey was selected from a pool of four finalists who took part in campus-wide interviews and presentations in late May and early June. The search process was guided by a selection committee comprising UC Davis faculty, student, staff, and alumni and athletics department representatives.
Tumey will be officially introduced at a campus event on July 10. He is expected to begin work on Aug. 1.
Chancellor's Intercollegiate Athletics update (PDF, 1.30.13)
Committee to advise on recruitment of new director of athletics (Dateline, 10.5.11)
UC Davis Athletics Strategic Audit 2011 (PDFs)
VI. Scope of Work
Intercollegiate Athletics by the numbers
Get the facts about UC Davis' Intercollegiate Athletics program:
- Number of varsity teams: 23
- Number of student-athletes: 614 in 2010-11
- Gender of student-athletes: 286 men and 328 women in 2010-11
- Conference affiliations:
- Big West (primary),
- Great West (football),
- Big Sky (football beginning in 2012),
- Western Water Polo Association (men's water polo),
- Mountain Pacific Sports Federation (gymnastics, lacrosse, women's swimming and
- NorPac (field hockey).
- Operating Budget (2010-11): Approx. $21 million
- Directors' Cup Championships (Division II): 1996, 1997, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003
- NCAA Division II Championships (team): 8
- NCAA Division I Championships (individual): 1 — Derek Moore, wrestling, 2007
- CoSIDA Academic All-America Awards: 64
- NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship Award winners: 88
- NCAA Woman of the Year winners: 3
- Conference Championships (since Division I): 18
SOURCE: UC Davis Intercollegiate Athletics