UC Davis Wears Red Day
Friday, February 7, 2014
On Friday, February 7, 2014, UC Davis is launching UC Davis Wears Red Day, a new campus-wide initiative spearheaded by the Chancellor's Office--in partnership with Dr. Amparo Villablanca, Director of the UC Davis Women's Cardiovascular Medicine Program, and Adele Zhang, curator of the UC Davis Design Museum--to help raise awareness with the entire UC Davis community that heart disease is the leading killer of women, as well as men, in the United States. The goal is to have as many departments and organizations as possible participate by wearing red and by identifying their own ways to encourage heart health, focusing on their unique strengths and abilities.
We are looking to YOU to develop your own unique program for the day that best shows how your department or organization can help in the fight to battle heart disease. We imagine this day to be structured similarly to Picnic Day, with events taking place all over campus, and beyond, that showcase each group’s specialty.
To show just how dedicated UC Davis is to this important cause, we have set our sights incredibly high with the goal of breaking the Guinness World Record for the largest heart formation, currently at 11,166 people. To achieve this goal, we are asking that the entire UC Davis community--quite literally--come together wearing red on Hutchison Field at 11:30 a.m. on February 7. This event will be a great opportunity for our campus to show how the small acts of individuals, when multiplied by the power of an entire community, can have a HUGE impact.
To help insure that UC Davis Wears Red, we encourage everyone to wear a red shirt or jacket or purchase an affordably-priced and specially-designed red T-shirt at UC Davis Stores. We are also in the process of setting up promotions with campus partners to offer discounts on February 7 for people wearing the T-shirt. Further details about the T-shirt and promotions will be available in January 2014.
Following the Guinness World Record attempt, Alpha Pi Sigma sorority and the UC Davis Women’s Cardiovascular Medicine Program will host a Heart Fair in the Pavilion. Campus departments, student groups, and organizations interested in having a booth or other program element that directly relates to preventing heart disease or maintaining a heart-healthy life style are invited to participate.
Here are additional ways and ideas for your group to participate in UC Davis Wears Red Day and help make it a successful and fun day:
- displays of current research or heart-healthy information
- department-wide challenges that encourage people to know their risk factors and know their numbers for heart disease (cholesterol, blood sugar, blood pressure, etc.)
- organize a heart-healthy physical activity or competitive event (like a 5K walk or run, basketball game, etc.) (AHA physical activity guidelines)
- organize a pot-luck lunch with heart-healthy foods (AHA dietary guidelines)
- check out the heart-healthy menu options that will be offered at the campus eateries
- post heart health testimonials or personal stories on a pinboard message board and participate in a video booth in the Student Community Center
- tweet photos and post comments on UC Davis Wears Red Facebook site
If you are interested in participating in “UC Davis Wears Red Day,” please use this form (click here) to submit your plan. The only requirement for your program is that it helps raise awareness for heart health.
For more information, please contact Andrew Crotto at email@example.com or (530) 754-2010.