Strategic Plan Goal 5
Create an intellectual and physical environment that supports the development of an innovative and entrepreneurial culture that extends the benefits of our research activities beyond the boundaries of the university.
UC Davis is one of the top public research universities in the world. With strengths in both basic and translational research, the university is well-positioned to make substantial contributions to society by translating the benefits of innovative research, including new products, new medical treatments, and new technologies, into the public domain. Further benefits to society result from the cultivation of innovative and entrepreneurial attitudes and expertise that students bring to the workplace and marketplace.
A major goal for the coming decade will be to build on the strong programs we have developed that support innovation and entrepreneurship among our students, staff and faculty. Of particular importance will be efforts to both extend the capacity and reach of these programs, providing access to all who might benefit, and to seek greater coordination of program activities across campus that support overlapping goals. We focus below on some of the major issues that must be addressed to advance each of our goals over the coming decade.
- Support of students
- Support of faculty members
- Support of faculty and researchers
- Connections with industry partners
- Support of economic development
- Creating a new interface between UC Davis and external partners in Sacramento (Aggie Square)
- Impact and visibility
- Innovation and entrepreneurship
- Student participation in relevant courses and extracurricular programs
- Faculty involvement in entrepreneurial activities
- Startup companies involving faculty, staff, postdocs, graduate and undergraduate students
- Extramural investments in innovation and entrepreneurship
- Space dedicated to innovation activities
- Number of industrial partners
- Intellectual property developed, including numbers of patents and licenses
- Revenue generated from entrepreneurial activities by category (e.g. start-ups, licensing, equity, royalties)